Chamonix is famous for extreme mountain sports, and there are many opportunities for practicing a wide range of such sports in the valley, for beginners as well as high-level athletes.
- Climbing and Mountaineering: Chamonix is perhaps most famous for its’ climbing and mountaineering. Some of the best alpinists in the world made Chamonix their home. There are guides who can lead you securely into the high mountains and you can rent or buy sports equipment in local shops.
- Hiking, trail running and Via Ferrata: The Valley has 350 km of well-maintained hiking trails and Via Ferrata routes for all levels. Chamonix is a popular starting point for the famous 7-10 day trail “Tour du Mont Blanc” that goes through France, Switzerland, and Italy in a scenic circle.
- Mountain Biking: This is another popular sport in the valley. You can rent mountain bikes in Chamonix and Les Houches.
- Paragliding: The steep slopes of the Chamonix valley are ideal take off points for paragliding, and you can access many of them by lift. Professional instructors offer tandem paragliding flights for beginners.
- Rafting and Canyoning: The Arve River, which runs through the valley, is suitable for beginners in rafting as well as for children. Rafting schools offer exciting trips and courses.
For more information, please visit the tourist office’s website.